My Love

Thursday, December 8, 2011
My simple heart, beating to the strings of a song,
thumping along with the pounding drum,
oh, how I know I belong. 

I found that fragment of a poem recently. I sat there, rubbing my chin, trying to figure out what it was about. Then, aha!, I had it. It was about dancing. 

Oh, gawh, I love dancing. I love it so much. It's like a romantic relationship, full of ups and down, tears and joy. Sometimes I want to give up on it, other times I'm sure it is all I want to do. Sure, I lack the years of practice most dancers do, but I don't lack the love for it. The soul consuming love. Every time I dance I actually think I have a chance. 

There has never been anything else in my life that made me feel that way. Well, maybe being a writer, but it wasn't till recently that I really squinted into the future and thought about it. Writing is always something that I love and can get a natural high from, but it doesn't do the same thing to me as dancing does. It also doesn't give me muscle and keep me fit. 

I know I've rambled on about my love for dance before. But it hasn't been till now that I know, for sure, how much dance means to me. I couldn't imagine living in that stupid town in Footloose! (And you don't want to imagine me going on a full blown rant about all the things that make Footloose one of the shittiest movies ever.) 

Anyway. I might have some of the most painful burns on my feet and be missing big chunks of my skin everywhere because of dancing, but that is an odd pleasure. XD

I get discouraged a lot in my dancing. But I also get encouraged by others, which is all I need. If I keep on working hard, no matter how cheesy it sounds, I will become better. I know I can. (Yeah! Look at that positive thinking! )

I can't choose a style of dance I like best. Ballet is so elegant, but fierce. Like a royal, hot tongue beauty. It brings out something fiery but graceful in dancers. 



Then there is lyrical or contemporary, which is like a loose ballet. Contemporary holds so much emotion. Whatever mood is pulsing through your veins burst out in contemporary. 
 And then there is Jazz. Jazz is like a classy hip hop, in my opinion. It brings back the old days, but keeps it hot and sexy. 

And, finally, hip hop, where it's about your style. How you want to make it, what fits you best. Hip hop is broad because each person has their own way to do things and that is what makes it so cool. It is orderly chaos. 


It's all different and it's all awesome. I don't know which one I would go with. At the moment, I'd say hip hop because you can blend in just about any other type of dance with it. But, hm, I don't know. I just know I love dance. 

What do you love? (And Ovais, it has to be an activity, not a certain person. :p) 

**Jocelyn**

4 comments:

  1. ... said...:

    Stick to dance! You should definitely keep up with it because when your life seems to be spiralling out of control, you'll have something to cling to.

    Writing and English Literature have always been my love, but I spent the last 4 years studying like insane and I just left them. Now I regret it so much that it's nearly impossible to explain it. I lost sight of what I truly loved and now I'm struggling to do little things like write a story when at one time, I would be a walking, talking story teller.

    Never leave dancing, even if you feel tired, or if someone tries to discourage you, never ever leave it.

  1. Jocelyn said...:

    :( I'm so sorry, Areesha. You are a brilliant writer. I can see that from your blog. But it is never to late to keep on making progress in that dream of yours. Yes, I know that sounded cheesy, but you can. :]

    It will all come back to you, writing. I went through a phase where I basically loathed dance, but now I'm back to loving it. I know you can do that with your writing and English literature. You've got it in you.

  1. ... said...:

    Thank you =) I know I can, but it's hard, y'know? That's why I'm always telling everyone to stick to their hobbies no matter what.

    Oh and it was cheesy xD

  1. Ovais said...:

    Hahahahahahahahahahaha.
    That just made my day :D
    I like sleeping. Honestly. :D
    I just go to sleep when I have nothing to do and all :P

Post a Comment